We have received many emails asking the question, where can I find the best travel agent discounts? One of the perks to becoming a travel agent is the discounts of course. Travel discounts aren’t as good as free, but they are still pretty good. Also, not all travel agent discounts are equal, suppliers offer diferent discounts depending on affiliation such as IATA members, CLIA members, host agency membership and overall production.
Please note that these are TRAVEL AGENT ONLY DISCOUNTS. Hotel and other travel suppliers will verify that you have valid travel agent identification such as a CLIA or IATA card (not all of the discounts below accept the CLIA card). Please read the fine print that suppliers offer and if you aren’t sure, always reach out directly.
From my experience, the simplest way to recognize these discounts is with an IATA (pronounced I – AH – TAH) or CLIA card. These cards are recognized by many suppliers such as hotels and rental car organizations. Many travel agents will acknowledge that the benefits of this card used to be much greater but there are still quite a few benefits. At $35 per year, I can easily recoup my funds with a single hotel stay.
Here are just a few examples of travel agent supplier that except the IATA and CLIA cards:
IATA (IATAN) Card Discounts
Please note for all of these you must have a valid IATA card to receive your travel agent discount. All of the hotel and car rental benefits and discounts listed above require proof of being a travel agent. This may be in the form of an IATA card, an ARC number or even CLIA membership. As far as I know, there isn’t a simple place to find all of the best IATA discounts (not even the IATA website!). If you are a hotel that is not on the list but you accept IATA cards and want to offer a discount please send it to email@example.com and we will continue to build our list of travel agent discounts.
A quick check of some of the current IATA discounts showed over 6,000 discounts including:
- Special companion rates on Air New Zealand
- PEP rates from Luftansa out of Singapore
- Sixt rent a car discounts
- La Quinta Inn 25% off at select locations
- Spirit Airlines Specials.
The IATA website can be found here – https://www.agentexperience.com. My only gripe with the site is the search interface for finding discounts. There is no simple way to peruse opportunities or to drill down on certain aspects (hotel, car, location). As far as we know, there aren’t any specific IATA Fam Trips but the iata card allows you to work with a travel sales group or tour operator that provides fam trips. It is typically tied to travel agent sales or media coverage. Some of the better deals that I found on the site were linked to agent sales over a recent time period.
Almost all general travel agent discounts are valid for IATA card holders. IATA is one of the most recognized brands for Travel Agents. The only thing that you might want to double check is whether or not a given travel agent discount has a disclaimer which includes a minimum number of bookings with that brand over a defined period. For instance a hotel might say, free Fam Trip for travel agents with at least one booking over the previous year.
Travel Agent Hotel Discounts
Below is a list of hotels that accept both the CLIA card and the IATA card and offer travel agent friendly rates and commissions. I’ve seen travel agent rates of as much as 70% off the retail rate depending on time of year and availability. If you have additional hotels that we should add to the list please send them along.
- InterContinental Hotels Group – www.IHGAgent.com – This is my favorite site. I wouldn’t say the rates are the lowest but it is very easy to use and I often find good rates on suites. I travel with my family a lot and having two rooms is a very nice upgrade. They recently changed the site such that you need to register but once registered you have the opportunity to get travel agent rates.
- Best Western International – up to 50% off – www.BestWestern.com/Travel-Professionals/
- Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group – travel agents enjoy up to a 50% discount off Carlson Rezidor hotels. This includes Radisson, Country Inn and Suites, Quorvus Collection, Park Plaza and Park Inn by Radisson. Simply enter Promotional Code TVLAGENT to search availability of discounted rates at your preferred hotel brand.Visit www.LookToBook.com
- Charles Group Hotels- www.CGH305.com
- Choice Hotels International – www.ChoiceHotels.com/Travel-Professionals
- Concorde Hotels & Resorts – www.Concorde-Hotels.com/en/trade/trade.aspx
- Hyatt – up to 50% off – www.HyattTravelAgents.com.
- Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants – www.KimptonHotels.com/Travel-Professionals – Use Promo code SPREE and book right here.
- La Quinta – www.LQ.com/TravelCounselor – save up to 25% – use promo code TAD while booking.
- MGM Resorts International – www.MGMResortsEliteAccess.com
- Omni Hotels – visit www.OmniHotels.com/Travel-Agents
- Swissôtel Hotels & Resorts – visit http://famousagents.frhi.com/ – This also include Fairmont and Raffles Hotels & Resorts.
- Warwick International Hotels – www.WarwickHotels.com/Travel-Agents/
- Aqua-Aston (Hawaii, Orlando, Lake Tahoe) – 25% off – http://www.aqua-aston.com/travel-agents/
- Tropicana (20% off for travel agents – call 1.800.462.8767 and mention code promo code WTASPC3 ) – http://www.troplv.com/las-vegas/travel-agents/promotions
- Castle Resorts (Oahu, Big Island, Kauai, Maui, Molokai, New Zealand) – 20% travel agent discount. 10% commission. Up to $50 bonus cash. http://www.castleresorts.com/travel-agents/
- Oasis – Join the Oasis travel agents program and get special rates between $57 and $87 dollars per night at The Pyramid at Grand Oasis, Grand Oasis Cancun, Grand Oasis Palm, Grand Oasis Sens (21+ adults only), and Grand Oasis Tulum depending on the season. Oasis offers travel agents a discount as a means to get more acquainted with the properties. Early agents who sign up also have the chance to win a 7-day trip! In addition Oasis offers Fam Trip offers to qualifying travel agents.
- Caesars Entertainment Group in Las Vegas (Caesers, Nobu, Cromwell, Flamingo, Planet Hollywood and more) Bood direct on the side and use promo code INSIDER
- Starwood Resorts & Hotels – 30% to 50% off – Must go to www.SPGpro.com to create an account. Once your account is created, go to the Pro Learning Courses to complete all the modules. Once you have completed all the Modules, there’ll be a link to book BOOK STARPRO RATES starting at $69 per night. Follow the above link for the best way to get Starwood and Starpro discount rates.
- Marriott Resorts – Go to https://hotelexcellence.marriott.com/home – Create a log in & take all the Educational Training courses to receive your Fam-Tastic Certificates for best IATAN discounts or for Standard IATAN rates go to http://www.marriott.com/default.mi and enter Promotional Code TVL
- International Hotels Group – Go to http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/global/offers/ta to make your Travel Industry Rate Reservation
- Millenium Hotels recently had 50%-60% off but discontinued it’s programs. There is additional information here
- Accor – 20%-50% off – Sofitel, Mercure, Ibis, Novotel, Motel 6 – http://travelpros.accorhotels.com/gb/home/index.shtml
- Whistler, Blackcomb, Canada. Join the travel agent program and contact directly for discounts on lodging and ski packages. https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/travel-agents
- Design Hotels – save 50% – https://www.designhotels.com/stories/travelpro
- Outrigger (Hawaii, Maldives, Figi) – 10%-50% – Go to www.outrigger.com. When searching for rates choose the “Travel Agent” among the special rates.
- Elite Island Resorts Caribbean – http://www.eliteislandresorts.com/fams/. Find rates as low as $89 per night at this all-inclusive chain. Hotels located on the islands of Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, Palm Island in The Grenadines, and Tortola.
Travel Agent Visitors and Convention Board Discounts
Sometimes in addition to fam trips, visitor bureaus will offer discounted hotels and attractions to travel agents. These groups often offer fam trips in addition to discounts. The discounts offered by tourism and convention boards can be negotiated with hotels and also include thorough city tours. If you are traveling to a big city it is always valuable to reach out and see what is available. Below are some of the offers we found:
- Heading to Fort Lauderdale anytime soon? Get the VIP card which is available to travel agents with a CLIA or IATA card. The card is valid for attractions around Fort Lauderdale. You must request up to two weeks in advance. The card is available for a one-time familiarization of the city and not a recurring thing. Additional details here – https://www.sunny.org/travel-trade/vip-cards/
- Orlando – http://trade.visitorlando.com/discounts/
- Los Angeles – Discounted Attractions such as UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD (25% off a general admission), GO LOS ANGELES CARD BY SMART DESTINATIONS 20% off on Go Los Angeles Card and Hollywood Explorer Pass, BIKES AND HIKES LA (Travel Agents receive a 50% discount for themselves and 25% off companions traveling with them), GRAMMY MUSEUM (Travel Agents receive 20% off a general admission one-day ticket and receive a complimentary exhibit tour), STARLINE TOURS (Travel Trade/Travel Agents receive a 10% discount off regular Starline pricing on all tours which do not include attraction tickets), SUNSET RANCH (Travel agents receive a complimentary 1-hour tour), IFLY INDOOR SKYDIVING, (Travel Agents receive 35% off any intro flying package), MADAME TUSSAUDS (Travel agents save $30 on the VIP Industry Insider Pass) ANOTHER SIDE TOURS (Travel Agents receive a 20% discount off regular priced Another Side of Los Angeles Tours). Additional travel agent discount details here – http://www.discoverlosangeles.com/blog/travel-trade-discounts
- New Orleans – New Orleans Travel Agent VIP Pass (Request it here) – the VIP Pass will grant you access to exclusive discounts for hotels, special offers at restaurants and other popular attractions in New Orleans
- Citypass – http://www.citypass.com/partners/travel-trade – Complimentary passes are allotted to contracted and actively selling travel trade partners. The City Pass program offers net rates and convenient purchasing options to qualifying travel trade members. Net rates are available for New York City, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa Bay and Toronto.
- San Diego Travel Trade Discounts – https://www.sandiego.org/travel-trade/trade-offers.aspx
- New Zealand – Explore New Zealand Programme offers discounts to over 1,000 hotels and attractions – http://traveltrade.newzealand.com/en/benefits/explore-nz-programme/
- Las Vegas Travel Agent Discounts – This sheet is old, but if you are a travel agent traveling to Las Vegas and looking for a hotel discount, it would probably be worth your time to reach out and find out if the offers are still valid.
- Copenhagen – Visit Copenhagen offers a variety of discounts including free public transit and sightseeing around the city, an attractions pass and hotel discounts in Copenhagen – http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/sites/default/files/asp/visitcopenhagen/TravelTrade/travel_agent_offer_2017.pdf
- Fort Lauderdale – https://www.sunny.org/travel-trade/travel-industry-rates/
- St. Croix – Get St Croix specials including hotels, car rentals, tours and attractions, adventure tours dive discounts, sea adventure, airline discounts, shopping and more – http://www.gotostcroix.com/special-offers/st-croix-fam-rates-travel-agents/
Travel Agent Car Discounts
Below is a list of car rental agencies that accept both the CLIA card and the IATA card and offer travel agent friendly rates and commissions. If you have additional car rental agency that we should add to the list please send them along.
- Auto Europe – visit www.AutoEurope.com/AffTA.cfm
- Avis Car Rental – www.avisagent.com
- Carey International – visit www.CareyConnect.com/Register-Your-Travel-Agency
- Kemwel – www.Kemwel.com/TravAge.cfm
- Alamo Car Rentals – go to https://ta.alamo.com/ta/taSignIn.do to receive up to 15% off your car rental
- Thrifty Car Rental – https://www.thrifty.com/TravelCenter/TravelAgents/SignIn.aspx
- Europcar – 20% off best available rates – http://europcar4agents.com/travel-agent-rate/
- Not exactly a car rental but WallyPark is willing to provide discounts and commissions for travel agent parking sales – https://www.wallypark.com/travel/
- Again, not exactly a car rental and also not a Cruise, but Cruise America provides travel agent discounts on RV rentals. Learn more and get RV/Mobile home commission starting today – https://www.cruiseamerica.com/contact/travel_agent_program/
Travel Agent Tour, Activity, Attraction and Theme Park Discounts
Below is a list of attraction and theme park websites that offer discounts and commissions to travel agent. If you market an attraction or theme park that you would like us to add please email us.
- LEGOLAND® Parks: https://www.legoland.com/florida/about-us/travel-agents/ – Travel agents receive 50% off 2 adult 1 day tickets for either LEGOLAND Florida or LEGOLAND Florida including the LEGOLAND Water Park. To receive the ticket discount, your valid IATA or CLIA card, business card and a photo ID are required; available for gate purchases only.
- SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment®: SeaWorldParks.com/travelagents
- Universal Orlando® Resort: universaltravelagents.com
- Walt Disney World® Resort: disneytravelagents.com
- Vail Mountain Ski Resort Discount – http://www.vail.com/faqdetail/Discounts-and-Savings/Do-I-get-a-discount-as-a-travel-agent.axd
- In addition to the travel discount benefits provided by the IATA and CLIA cards, many tour operators and consortium groups will negotiate additional discounts and partnerships. Make sure to have a good understanding of the partnerships arranged by any group you join.
- Get 50% off at Cancun “theme park” Xcaret – http://www.xcaret.com/faqs.php – A little piece of knowledge for those of you who read this blog but aren’t great friends, this is where I had my wedding. FYI, it’s quite the amazing experience for all you wedding planners.
- San Diego Zoo – 10% off for you and a guest – http://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/content/do-you-offer-travel-agent-discount
- Cabo Adventures – https://www.cabo-adventures.com/travel-agents
- European Bike Tours with DigNGo- https://www.digngo.com/about/travel-agents/
- Hawaiian Airlines is pleased to continue to offer our AD75 & AD50 Reduced Rate Program – https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/our-services/products-and-programs/travel-agents/news
CLIA Embarc Card Discounts
CLIA stands for Cruise Lines International Association. If you are a cruise travel agent and have the embarc card, there are many deals to be had. The current travel agent discounts for 2016 can be found here – http://www.cruising.org/docs/default-source/ta/2016-embarc-id-benefits.pdf?sfvrsn=8
One of the nice things about the CLIA embarc card versus IATA card is that you can purchase the CLIA card as an individual. On the contrary, in order to get an ARC or IATA membership can be cost prohibitive for an individual since they require large up front payments which are more geared towards established agencies. If you are planning to join one of the larger host or national accounts found out which types of travel agent cards and memberships are possible for individuals within the groups. The travel agents discounts and rewards that are associated with these cards can be of real value.
Travel Agent Cruise Discounts
- Windstar Cruises – http://media.windstarcruises.com/Travel%20Agent%20Center/RSM%20Flyers/17-0188%20Star%20FAMs%20flyer_v3.pdf
We hope that you found our travel agent discount guide to be valuable. I created this blog post after the first time I tried booking a hotel with my IATA card. It was a large hotel chain and the operator had never head of an IATA card. I decided that I would try to make it easier for travel agents to find offers and discounts and know how to book them. There are many perks to being a travel agent and getting discounts on travel might be the best one. If you are a hotel that would like to be listed in our guide (or if you would like to send out a special offer to our list of thousands of travel agents) don’t hesitate to send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, if you find a travel agent discount that you think your fellow colleagues would want to see or if you want to highlight a wonderful experience that you had with a supplier discount feel free to leave a comment below.
As a travel agent you are expected to be “in the know” and the best way to be in the know is to visit locations and test out a variety of suppliers such as hotels, airlines, attractions, tours, shops and restaurants to garner a first-hand experience and understanding. Because suppliers want travel agents to have first-hand knowledge, many travel suppliers are willing to provide discounts to help educate you on the benefits of their product.
What are we missing? Please tell us about your travel agent discount and we will add it to our list – email@example.com